Monday, March 01, 2004

The Racholution Will Not Be Televized
On Friday night, I heard the Atlanta Symphony in a tight interpretation of Rachmaninov's second symphony. On Saturday afternoon, I heard Todd Qualls perform an etude-tableau by Rachy. On Sunday afternoon I heard Simon Trpecki at Spivey Hall play a blindingly virtuousic all-Rachman second half comprising the preludes in B-flat major and D major, the transcription of the Scherzo from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer
Night's Dream and his second piano sonata (second version). today I tune in to CD Review and guess whose Vespers are on Building a Library? Anyone? Anyone?

After all that razz, I'm still not convinced that Rachmaninov was a great composer, especially in longer forms. The preludes and etudes-tableaux held my attention best, although I will give the second piano sonata another chance on CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home