Friday, March 14, 2008

Second Day in Marrakech

Yesterday was a casual day in which I tried to visit just two museums, but failed at both, which was not a big deal because I mainly wanted to walk around the market anyway. I did twist my ankle just outside the Belghazi museum, which was supposed to be open but was not, and although it didn't hurt at the time, it hurts a lot right now. Fortunately I was able to get a bandage and some ointment for it. I had one of the most lavish dinners of my life at La Maison Bleue last night. There were two Gnaoui musicians there along with an oud player.

Tonight I will probably have dinner at Palais Medina, which has somewhat louder entertainment. I hope it's worthwhile. It was recommended by my tour guide, who, I'm sure, gets some commission from this. I was hoping to hire Jai Chater Rachid as my tour guide based on a recommendation in a book, but Rachid is now in Marrakech, so I hired someone recommended by him named. Hassan. While Hassan was great at navigating the medina, he wasn't as acquainted with the historical and cultural details that I had hoped to hear more about. We saw virtually every site of importance in the medina. Unfortunately one of the two major medersas was closed. But Medersa Bou Inania was lovely.

Tomorrow morning I have to catch a train to Meknes. It's only about 40 minutes away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home